Updated October 2023
As a builder or contractor, you may be inclined to consider taking on the job of installing insulation in your building project yourself. Since you frequently tackle pieces of your construction projects on your own, you can handle this one as well, right? Although this may seem both efficient and cost effective, it’s not in the best interest for you or the future homeowner. In this blog post let’s look at three reasons why insulating your home building project independently is not the best choice and why it’s better to leave the job to a professional instead.
I. Safety Concerns
Safety is a top priority with insulation installation. DIY insulation attempts frequently lead to injuries and health problems due to the mishandling of insulation materials. Without proper personal protective equipment, such as a long-sleeved shirt and pants or a dust mask, you run the risk of skin, eye, and respiratory irritation, and possibly even a higher chance of cancer. Some types of insulation are easier to work with than others. Materials such as spray foam insulation and fiberglass insulation are made with different materials and have different potential handling risks. When handling fiberglass insulation without personal protective equipment, the small glass pieces can irritate your skin and nasal passages while incorrectly installed spray foam insulation can release chemicals into the air through evaporation, causing respiratory issues and an increased cancer risk.
Another safety concern is the risk of fire. Installation inexperience can lead to insulation being installed too close to heat sources such as recessed lighting, inadvertently elevating fire risks significantly. Instead, trust a professional. A professional insulation contractor conducts proper safety training for their installer team which reduces the risk of workplace injuries and helps keep your project on time and on budget.
II. Quality of Installation
Besides safety concerns, installation inexperience can result in insulation mistakes that can affect both the quality of your insulation and installation. Improper placement can leave gaps and cause energy loss, lessening the insulation’s lifespan. Also be aware, when you attempt to install insulation on your own you may unknowingly void the product’s warranty, potentially leading to future financial burdens and repair and labor costs for homeowners. Trusting a qualified professional to effectively complete the insulation work on your building project gives you access to a wide array of knowledge and training. Professional insulation contractors are up to date on local building codes, new insulation technologies, and installation methods, ensuring your project is properly insulated and as energy efficient as possible.
It’s no secret that the average cost of professional installation can be expensive, but the hidden expenses of self-installed insulation can easily create more out-of-pocket costs than you would expect. Professional contractors have all the necessary tools and equipment needed to correctly install insulation in a timely, efficient manner. Chances are you’ll have to purchase or rent the needed equipment for your job. If you purchase and install the wrong insulation, replacement costs stack up quickly. Other costly mistakes to avoid if you attempt to install insulation include increased energy bills and repairs from long-term damage caused by leaks and inadequate insulation levels from incorrectly installed insulation. Long-term damages can include mold, rust, and ice dams that form in and outside the home.
We’re Here to Give You Peace of Mind for Your Building Project
Don’t let the perceived cost savings of installing your own insulation cost you more in the long run. Hire a professional insulation contractor and have the job done right the first time. With a professional, you’ll avoid hidden costs, safety concerns, and warranty issues. All you’ll be left with is the peace of mind that your building project is properly insulated for future homeowners to enjoy for many years. Our DeVere Insulation team is here to help! Contact us today to discuss the insulating needs of your next building project.
- Why is professional expertise important in ensuring energy efficiency through insulation?
- Professional expertise ensures precise insulation installation, minimizing gaps and air leaks, which is crucial for maintaining energy efficiency in buildings.
- What are the signs of improperly installed insulation that I should look out for?
- Signs of improperly installed insulation include drafts, temperature fluctuations, high energy bills, and visible gaps or irregularities in insulation coverage.
- Can self-installed insulation affect the resale of my building?
- Yes, self-installed insulation can potentially impact the future resale value of your building if it leads to energy inefficiency or safety issues.
- What are the environmental implications of improper insulation installation?
- Improper insulation can lead to increased energy consumption, contributing to higher greenhouse gas emissions and a negative environmental footprint.
- What types of insulation are best left to professionals, and why?
- Complex insulation types like spray foam and blown-in insulation are best left to professionals due to precise installation requirements and safety concerns.
- How can I find a reputable professional insulation installation service in my area?
- To find a reputable insulation installation service, research local companies, read reviews, and ask for recommendations from colleagues and friends. As Maryland’s largest independent insulation contractor, our team at DeVere Insulation has been delivering exceptional insulation solutions to local homeowners and builders since 1987. We are here to help you too.